My weekend ended up being pretty great, despite my fears that Mother’s Day would be incredibly difficult. I was spoiled rotten, as is always the case thanks to Mr. T. and the kids. Mr. T. picked out a really pretty hydrangea plant for the garden, Sex and the City Movie on DVD, and this gorgeous orchid.
Isn’t it pretty? And check out my owl – sneak peak of next week’s spray painting extravaganza post As gorgeous as the orchid is, it was dwarfed by the beauty of this flower:
Mimi made me a present at daycare and then snuck the bag into her room to hide it. I was so impressed – when I was a kid I couldn’t keep a secret to save my life. Then, after about 24 hours in her room, she moved the back to the coffee table, then the kitchen table, and then she told me to please move my Mother’s Day flower present to the TV cabinet. She’s my child.
With Mr. T tackling the household chores, I headed to the basement to figure out what to do with my new corkboard. I decided Saturday that I needed a place to organize my notes and scraps of paper I seem to be collecting. I write recipes on napkins, blog post ideas on post it notes, and then – whoops, they’re gone. I decided bigger was better, and Mr. T screwed it to the wall downstairs where I’m setting up bloggin’ shop.
Very practical, right? It’s enormous, and will have room to organize this blog and my Prior Fat Girl posts, and of course meal plans and various assorted other things. But, and it’s a big BUT, it was ugly. Hmm, what to do?
Fabric collection to the rescue! I love fabric, and keep buying it with the intention of sewing something fabulous, and then it doesn’t happen. So I dug through fuzzy pink monkey flannel, green sequined silk, and found this!
Perfect. I unscrewed the corkboard that had been put up just hours earlier, laid it on top of the wrong side of the fabric (the side without the pattern), and grabbed the staple gun (and Mr. T).
Put one staple in the middle of the first side of fabric, pull it tight, and put another staples in the middle of the opposite side. Follow this same process for the other 2 ends, and then, start stapling around the rest of the board. Tip: keep the fabric pulled as tightly as possible for the best results.
Now THIS is a place to post inspiring thoughts. Only one problem:
An unsightly screw that needs some camouflaging. I am kind of obsessed with buttons right now, and tried a few of them there, but it just wasn’t doing it for me. Then I found this cute little ladybug.
They’re supposed to be good luck, so I thought it was a great addition.
One last addition – and now it’s ready to go. Such a fun, and EASY half an hour project.